Friday, July 13, 2012

Time to Heal

Might not seem possible today, but the worst event in your life can be turned around. It can become the source of your greatest joy, the foundation of your brightest moment, a place of peace later on in life.


I often think about some of the Old Testament stories and one sticks out today. When the children of Israel were in the desert, their disobedience caused them to be stung to the point of death by serpents. Later when Moses descended back to them, God gave a weird instruction. He said to fashion a serpent and lift it up among the people. And those who look upon it would be healed. Now, I wasn't there, but just being human, the last thing I'd want to look upon is something that had put me in pain or danger in the first place. What was the significance of being healed by the same thing that damaged you in the first place? It was as if God wanted to show them that they could face their new greatest fear or threat and be healed from it.


When I first began sharing my story, it hurt so badly I often choked up and cried after a few words. It was humiliating to me, a prideful woman who was taught not to cry and certainly not in front of people. But each time I looked up at my pain and shared it with others, the stronger I became. And soon, it got to the point that I felt nothing. It was as if it didn't even happen, nothing more than a memory without feelings. And now, I can stand and tell my story with a smile. I've faced that pain and shame down, and what's so wonderful about it is behind it all is now a bestselling book, The Rape of Innocence: Taking Captivity Captive. After the healing, there is always some wonderful treat left behind to remind you that God is able to bring you through ANYTHING if you want to come through it. It isn't comfortable, but remaining broken shouldn't be an option. Time to heal!

No comments: