Thursday, August 7, 2008

Violence is Never the Answer

There is a portion of my book that unfortunately gets more attention than any other. In my first marriage, my husband and I fought on occasion. On one of those occasions, it turned especially violent. It ended in me stabbing him very badly.

Most abused women who read the book tell me that they were inspired by that part. That bothers me because they don't know how much that haunts me. I don't believe violence is the answer for anyone under any circumstance. It may sometimes seem the easier answer, but it is not the best one.

If you have read my book, please don't look at that portion of the book as something to aspire to. Rather, learn to use courage to walk away and be alone before you allow yourself to be cornered by an abusive partner.

No comments: